Living with a Mechanical Heart Valve: Click.Tick.Thump. Love It!

Support Group for Mechanical & Artificial Heart Valve Surgery & Using Warfarin

Hi - I am new to this site as I am scheduled for my aorta valve replacement surgery next week.  I am also having the aorta root replaced as well as I have an aneurysm of the ascending aorta.

I have read a number of the postings over the last few weeks and they have been really helpful in getting my head round the operation knowing that there are others in the same boat.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice to help with the preparation for the operation and coping with the first fews days after the operation - any advice greatly received !

Thanks

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi john, I just had the same surgery on July 25th. I would tell you to relax before the surgery, but I know that is impossible. I had a lot of anxiety, so they prescribed me some meds for that. The first few days after you will be well medicated so your pain should be fine. The day I got out of icu, the nurses had me up and moving and having me try to use the bathroom. After that it seemed everyday they were removing a tube or wire from me. I didn't have much of an appetite while i was in the hospital. I think I lost about 10 lbs. I was out of the hospital in 7 days.
Now I am walking 3 miles a day and hitting the weights at the gym. Let me know how you make out.

Hi Tina, The op is 2 days away now so every now and then I catch myself thinking about it in probably a little too much detail for my own good.  I know that this is the right thing for me and once the actual op is out of the way I can concentrate on recovery - so trying to focus on that.  It is really encouraging to be able to exchange information with people that have been through the process - and the info above is really helpful as it is difficult for the doctors to give the insider view.

Sounds like you are well on the way to recovery and already back into your fitness regime - that is really good to know.

thanks

Reply to Discussion

RSS

OTHER IMPORTANT LINKS

Join our Facebook Page!

Or: post our Website Link to your Facebook Wall Profile
If you have the QR decode app in your smart camera phone - hold your camera phone over this QR CODE and it will automatically take your smart phone (*if you have the internet enabled on your phone) to our Facebook Page!

OR - Use the QR Code above

What's a QR Code??
Download QR Reader App.

LIFELONG MHV MEMBERS

© 2019   Created by Graeme.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service