Living with a Mechanical Heart Valve: Click.Tick.Thump. Love It!

Support Group for Mechanical & Artificial Heart Valve Surgery & Using Warfarin

I know for me the first year i was not feeling so sexy or that in the mood for sex.
So how has the valve changed your sex lifes ?

Views: 841

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting question that needs addressing head on.. Fact. You are feeling pretty awful for months while your chest heals so yes..open heart surgery and recovery does not make for much interest in sex... however once the surgery has healed, and you have got back on your exercise regime - and your have gotten over the fact that physical exertion is NOT going to make you have a heart attack - nature most definately will take its course...and you have the added bonus of a very fast magic tick! Bottom line. It's a mental 'thing' rather than a physical 'thing' - with the right mindset and an understanding partner it should - actually - does not - make any negative difference whatsoever...

cheers

Graeme
did somebody mention sex life? i lost mine in 2007 and can't seem to find it (completely unrelated to the heart valve)... in fact i think my virginity has grown back!
with the right person, i don't see why the valve would change your sex life... it is, after all, good cardiovascular, lumbar and upper body exercise!
r
I think this is good to know. I have so many questions that I am not sure how to ask or who to ask. I know my surgery is 22 days away and right now want to and have the drive to have some fun before I go in. It's finding someone that will with me that Is the problem.

Most of my single friends don't want to hurt the friendships we have. Nor do they want to give me a heart attack right now since they know my heart isn't in a good situation. It seems to stress me out more to have the emotional strain from feeling alone than it does when I go do something physical like some light exercise or walking/hiking and stuff.

So would you say that all of these feelings are normal?
i think this is a natural part of feeling alone - one thing i wouldn't do is put any friendships on the line, because after surgery they will be your only connection to restoring your life more or less to normality...
take care,
r
Hey Jonathon,

Your NOT alone. A lot of what you are feeling stems from examining one's own navel viz: your mortality.. I think you have to look at this a little differently..it's not as if you have only 22 days 'left' as you say - to 'have some fun'..you actually have the rest of your life left to do that! And frankly - you are going to be in a lot better shape once you have had the op and are recovering/recovered to do so.. Richard is totally on the money..look after your friends now and keep them close..don't - as we Aussies say- "put the hard word" on them and mess up what is more valuable than any amount of "having some fun"...your friendships.. stay cool...you are going to be fine and not only get through this - but come out the other side much better personal AND health wise..

cheers

Graeme

Jonathan F Bushey said:
I think this is good to know. I have so many questions that I am not sure how to ask or who to ask. I know my surgery is 22 days away and right now want to and have the drive to have some fun before I go in. It's finding someone that will with me that Is the problem.

Most of my single friends don't want to hurt the friendships we have. Nor do they want to give me a heart attack right now since they know my heart isn't in a good situation. It seems to stress me out more to have the emotional strain from feeling alone than it does when I go do something physical like some light exercise or walking/hiking and stuff.

So would you say that all of these feelings are normal?
ok so ya I even went in with the mentality that I would come out with a sex drive when i came out of surgery but since my body and heart are healing I had no reactions or desires to even think about it... and I guess its a good thing because 90% of the techs and nurses I had were all around my age and hot. the one tech also gave good back massages during sponge baths
Jonathon I only just saw this post.. made me think back to my time at hospital.. one day when i am REALLY adventurous i will post the story about my initial admittance to hospital and my saviour - the REALLY foxy doctor who actually discovered my AD (her stupid colleagues thought it was gallstones..) and how she described how she loved her brazilian whilst she was inserting a catheter..made for a very twitchy moment.. :-) lol..

cheers

Graeme

Jonathan F Bushey said:
ok so ya I even went in with the mentality that I would come out with a sex drive when i came out of surgery but since my body and heart are healing I had no reactions or desires to even think about it... and I guess its a good thing because 90% of the techs and nurses I had were all around my age and hot. the one tech also gave good back massages during sponge baths
why am i so unlucky? i had 2 gay male nurses, 1 leathery old trout (who i wouldn't even complement with the moniker nurse), 2 great big fatties and a hot blonde nurse, who it turned out was as "blonde" as she looked and had terrible bad breath.
i think the last time i thought about sex was the 7th July 2008! or, maybe early morning on the 8th ...perhaps it was not the ham sandwich after all!
r
Ham? a blonde moment perhaps... :-)

G

Richard Deal said:
why am i so unlucky? i had 2 gay male nurses, 1 leathery old trout (who i wouldn't even complement with the moniker nurse), 2 great big fatties and a hot blonde nurse, who it turned out was as "blonde" as she looked and had terrible bad breath.
i think the last time i thought about sex was the 7th July 2008! or, maybe early morning on the 8th ...perhaps it was not the ham sandwich after all!
r
wow Richard... that does suck about the staff, then again in July when I signed myself into the Emergency Room and was later admitted to the hospital I hardly saw my nurses and techs... the night time nurse was an older woman that if something did go wrong like me falling or something I doubt she'd be able to help me up,,, never saw the night tech, and, then the day nurse wasn't half bad but again hardly saw her during my time there, and the tech I don't remember seeing but a couple of times. Over the years I have visited the hospitals for other things and usually ended up with the b, c, or d rated staff so I know what it's like LOL

In all honesty I think that the fact that one of the better colleges for Nursing/medical field being right next door to the hospital I was in for the surgery may have played a factor in the staff I was graced with.

Graeme, I am looking forward to any stories anyone may have. I know that I have several stories about the staff I had and even a few patients that were brought in from the ER 2 of which are just hilarious for anyone.

As for my drive at the moment it is slowly coming back. Maybe because I am younger and want to eventually start a family of my own. In any case I will wait for things to happen as they will and see what adventures lay a head.

~ Jonathan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

OTHER IMPORTANT LINKS

Join our Facebook Page!

Or: post our Website Link to your Facebook Wall Profile
If you have the QR decode app in your smart camera phone - hold your camera phone over this QR CODE and it will automatically take your smart phone (*if you have the internet enabled on your phone) to our Facebook Page!

OR - Use the QR Code above

What's a QR Code??
Download QR Reader App.

LIFELONG MHV MEMBERS

© 2020   Created by Graeme.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service